CANADA SUMMER – $1499 AUD/NZD
2024 Summer Applications OPEN
You will come for the Winters, but you will stay for the Summers! Contrary to popular belief, Canada as a tourist destination is actually far more popularin the summer months when the place really heats up and everything and everyone comes out to enjoy the beautiful wilderness! The snow starts to melt, the animals come out of hibernation, and the adrenaline lovers get to experience those exciting pursuits other than skiing or snowboarding as temperatures soar into the high 20’s & 30’s.
Music Festivals, Hiking, Camping, White Water Rafting, Downhill Biking, Rock Climbing & Floaty days on the lake are just a few of the awesome activities you can experience while working a summer season in Canada. With Pre-Arranged jobs everywhere from Whistler to Banff we have got you covered with all positions coming with full-time hours, staff housing, a free season pass or wellness package and full training on arrival. Whats best is we will set you up with all of this before you have even booked your flights or quit your job in Aus/NZ.
Start with Summer, Stay for Winter. Let’s do it!
WHAT DO I GET?
VISA ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Hold an Australia/NZ/UK.EU passport with a least 2 years remaining at time of application
- Be aged between 18 and 35 years inclusive (must be 19 by the time you start work for our programmes)
- Have no criminal convictions, including serious traffic convictions.
- Minor offenses may be admissible.
- Have travel Insurance for the ENTIRE duration of your stay in Canada
- Provide documentary evidence on arrival in Canada of access to approximately CA$2,500
- From December 31st 2018 it is required to submit your Biometrics information at a biometrics office in your country and pay the fee of $85 CAD
- For our programmes you must also be able to commit to the entire season
WHAT JOB CAN I GET?
- Food & Beverage Cashier
- Food & Beverage Host
- Food & Beverage Server
- Base Area Ops
- Food Station Server
- Rental Technician
- Lift Operator
- Guest Services
(Job roles can differ depending which location you apply please see our Canadian Resort employers page for specifics)
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
- Canada summer pack $1499
- Must also have minimum $2,500 savings up entry into Canada
- Visa cost is $335 CAD (including Biometrics Fee)
- Flights & Travel Insurance NOT included
- We recommending aiming to take around $5,000 savings, rather than the minimum $2,500. The more you have the more you can do when you are over in Canada!\
- Transport from Vancouver/Calgary to your resort. This cost differs depending on your location, as resorts/hotels can range from 2-14 hours from the closest airport. Its best to allow approx $60 – $200CAD for your transport to your resort which we will assist you to book
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What happens if I can no longer travel?
What am I actually paying for?
- The security of knowing that you have literally every facet of your working holiday experience organized pre-departure.
- Employment Contract pre-departure
- Interview preparation to ensure you nail your first opportunity
- Visa Specialists to guide and guarantee your visa application
- Working holiday mentor to answer all your questions big and small from your first enquiry to your first day of work.
- Staff Housing, or Housing Assistance
- Orientation on Arrival to Canada with TWHC specialist who knows the land, processes and protocols
- Secondary Job Opportunities After Completion Of The First Season
- Access To Resort Specific Closed Facebook Group
- In-country Support Throughout The Entire Length Of Your Stay
- Discounted rates on flights, insurance and hostel accommodation
What happens if I am not offered a position?
- If you are not offered a position after your initial resort interview we will endeavour to set you up with a second resort interview. If after two unsuccessful attempts to place you within one of our ski resort or hotel partners we will refund you in full less your deposit.
When should I be applying?
The interviews for the Summer season are held in March 2023. Applications opened in August 2022 meaning you have until Feb 2023 to start an application. However locations are filled on a first-in-first-served basis so the earlier you apply the most locations you to choose between. If you leave it until Feb to apply you may only have a few locations remaining with positions.
WHY USE THE WORKING HOLIDAY CLUB?
Can I just do it myself?
You can, however, it’s extremely risky and no doubt costly. The resorts & hotels have staffing needs of hundreds of employees and can’t leave it until the last minute to do their hiring in case they fall short. Subsequently, they use the working holiday club’ to handle their candidate flow for international hires (overall hiring numbers for canadian employees are carefully monitored and tracked by the canadian gov ‘ there’s not a bottomless pit for internationals to work in canada).
You might be able to score yourself a job at one of the local grocery stores, bakeries or restaurants, but without guaranteed hours, at $10.00 per hour, if you are only getting 15 hours per week that’s not even going to pay for your rent if you are not living in staff housing.
Here are some factors to take into consideration if you have decided to do it yourself.
You will need to secure your work visa fast as their quotas are reached earlier each year.
- You will need to secure your work visa fast as their quotas are reached earlier each year.
- If you manage to secure employment with a local grocery or retail outlet on the mountain, your accommodation will be very expensive if any is even available for you to rent on min wage.
- You will need to fork out as much as $1800 for a season ski lift pass ‘ local shops very rarely can offer you an annual pass for free.
- You will need to budget for a minimum of three weeks in a hostel while you jobs hunt
For your interviews, you will need to travel to the resorts and pay for accommodation and flights. Very costly.
In a nutshell, those that diy faces accommodation issues, ski lift pass cost, a lack of consistent and reliable work, and expensive interview travel expenses!
The working holiday club’ offers you the security to have everything pre-arranged so that you have peace of mind when arriving in canada. You’re also guaranteed:
- Free season lift pass
- A roof over your head
- Legal visa
- Safe arrival into your new home
- All you need to think about is what drink you’re going to order at the meet and greet party on arrival!
Whistler Blackcomb reference
We have partnered with TWHC for 10 years now. We have worked with a few agencies over the years and now use TWHC exclusively. With honest two-way communication, the team really understands our business & consistently delivers top candidates for us to meet. Extremely organized & efficient, our time is always well spent & this has proven to be the most effective way to recruit great people. The team are true professionals & I would recommend them to anyone.
Silver Star reference
Silver Star have been working with The Working Holiday Club for many years now to assist us with our hiring. It is a challenge for any company to recruit large numbers of employees season after season, however, with the assistance of the working holiday club we are able to fill these positions with a professional, reliable, engaged employee team. We feel that the working holiday club are industry leaders in recruiting employees within the ski industry. The team at The Working Holiday Club understand the needs of each resort that they partner with, offering an honest service to both employer and employee. I would have no hesitation in recommending the working holiday club as a friendly, welcoming and trustworthy company to work with.
Flight centre reference
This email is to acknowledge that Flight Centre Travel Group and The Working Holiday Club have been working together for over 7 years. During this time we’ve found TWHC to be a solid, ethical, and completely above-board organization, and furthermore have a strong business relationship with. We strongly value the partnership between our two organizations, and rely heavily on TWHC to provide our customers with a honest, and seamless customer experience. Our relationship extends across all retail brands within the Flight Centre Travel Group, including but not limited to Flight Centre, Student Flights, Escape Travel, and My Adventure Store.
- We have the best ski resorts
- We have the best ski resorts jobs
- We have the best interview processs
- We are the preferred working holiday agency for large companies like flight Centre, student flights (Australia and new Zealand) and Kilroy International (Europe). We are also the most significant areas like Whistler Blackcomb, failure to deliver what we say we will do is not an option. Having these partnerships for ten years indicates we are the best because we do what we say we will do
- For 10 years major resort trust us with international hiring
Resort & travel agent references
Industry references, so you know you’re in safe hands!
WORKING HOLIDAY VISA A-Z
Information for Australian/NZ applicants'
To be eligible for the Working Holiday category, you must:
- be an Australian/NZ citizen
- have a valid Aus/NZ passport for the duration of your stay in Canada ‘ your work permit in Canada must not be longer than the validity of your passport
- be between the ages of 18 and 35 (inclusive) at the time of application
- have the equivalent of $2,500 (Canadian) to help cover your expenses
- have travel insurance for the duration of your stay. You need to show evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada
- not be accompanied by dependents
- From December 31st 2018 it is required to submit your Biometrics information at a Biometrics office in your country and pay the fee of $85 CAD
- cannot have any criminal records or DUI’s. (Minor offences may be accepted, speak to our team about your situation if need be)
Processing time for international experience canada
12-18 Weeks. This can fluctuate depending on the time year you re applying. The more time you give yourself for the visa the better. Once it’s approved you have 12 months to enter the Country. When you enter Canada is when the visa time will start.
- Visa offices close every year between October and January
- Currently, Australians and New Zealanders are only permitted to have one two-year working visa.
ARRIVAL & SUPPORT
Ski resort & staff housing?
Ski Resorts in general are insanely expensive places to holiday, let alone live in. Most people find that getting a place to live is the most challenging part of relocating to a ski town for the winter. Most of the resorts we recruit for offer shared staff accommodation for a subsidises price. This allows staff to live in ski resort on a budget with other staff members. This is a huge benefit when you are traveling to the other side of the world, making us the top agency to work with us.
What happens when I first get to Canada?
Our office is located in the central Vancouver hostel and your arrival orientation will take place there also. During orientations we will assist you in getting Canadian SIN (tax file number), bank account and phone number. After orientations we have meet in greet drinks in the bar every night!
Is a TWHC representative in Canada when I arrive?
Yes… We have a desk within the Samesun Hostel so we will meet you on arrival. We also host orientations to help you set up your social insurance number (sin), bank account and sim card, and much more, which will assist the transition into your new home country a breeze. The Working Holiday Club’ representative will also host the meet and greet drinks with the other staff heading to the same location as yourself, so you get to make some new mates before heading up to your resort/hotel.
What happens when the Summer Season ends?
We do offer full 24 month support during your working holiday in Canada. It is very common that most travellers will stay on at their existing resort/hotel for the next season (or sometimes up to the full 2 years at one resort!). Repeat seasons with an employer are all based on past performance. As long as you have a good relationship with your employer, they will always want to keep on their existing staff. You don’t need to pay again, as you only ever pay for your first programme. If you decide you want to change locations if best to reach out towards the end of your first season and we can let you know what online interviews we have coming up at different resorts/hotels.
Can I go with a friend partner?
Yes, you can. We understand moving to the other side of the world can be a little daunting, and we strive to ensue we give you and your friends/partners the best possible opportunity of working together. That is why, in your application, you can note who you will be travelling with. Ultimately the decision is the interviewers’, and we cannot guarantee you will both receive a job offer. As we mentioned earlier, be flexible with your job options, and we are confident we will be able to place you and your friends together.
Be aware the larger the group of travellers, the greater the chance of someone not being offered a role. This was also applied to couples ‘ one is stronger than the other. There is always ‘one person’ in the group that isn’t as sharp or as focused. The resort or hotel interviewers have no qualms deciding who they offer roles to, and who they don’t. This is a brutal reality… The info here is to help prepare you.
Can I apply if I am a Uni Student?
Canadian Ski Resorts run 2 x 6 months seasons. The Summer Season runs from May – October and the Winter is the other 6 months of the year from the start of Nov until the end of April. The biggest requirement to work for any ski resort is you must be able to commit to the entire season. It is not worth a resort taking someone who can only be there half of the time as they cannot hold a space in staff housing for you and they will have to re-train and re-hire twice as many staff members to find someone to replace your spot for the remainder of the season. None of the ski resorts we recruit for will interview any applicants from us unless they can commit to the entire season. They are a little more flexible on the start date, however the VERY minimum would be 5 months. However, the later in the season you are able to start, the more limited the job roles available to you become.
For this reason University Students are only able to apply if you defer the first semester of the following year.
Can I specify a resort or hotel I want to work at?
You sure can! Once your application fee has been paid you will get to select your resort preference. You get to choose where you are going to apply, out of what is available at the time. Resort locations are filled on a first-in best-dressed basis so the earlier you apply with us, the more locations you will have to choose between.
For job roles you will put in your two preferred job roles you would like to do at that resort. It will come down to the resort/interviewer as to where they feel you would be the best fit in their team. This will be based on your interview, personality, skills & experience. They will always try for your preferences first.
However, as certain positions are very popular, you may wish to consider listing some different preferences. Remember, flexibility is an attractive trait for all employers!
The job you applied for might have many other applying for it as well, so consider the role and your suitability carefully. For example, many people apply for lift operator roles… Those people who have worked outside previously or in labouring roles will have a distinct advantage over those who have never had a physical job. Reading and understanding job descriptions and how they will apply to you is incredibly important when considering jobs for six months or more.
Consider if you are fit for the role ‘ if you have previous experience. Some roles start early and finish early. Again, read and research the roles you are interested in.
Ask your working holiday club’ recruitment manager if you have any questions or require clarification.
What is NOT included?
Aside from your programme fee the below costs are not included with the programme
- Visa Fee – $335 CAD (including Biometrics Fee)
- Flights – You can choose to book either one way or return
- Travel Insurance – It is a condition of your working visa for Canada that you must have travel insurance for your entire stay in Canada. We get really great discounts that we pass onto applications once they have a job contract and are ready to book.
- Savings – It is also a condition of the working visa that you must have a minimum of $2,500 CAD savings (Or availability on credit card) upon entry to Canada. We suggest aiming to take at least $5,000 savings with you, however this comes down to you and how you want to spend your season. The more you take with you the more you will be able to do during your working holiday.
- Hostel Stay on Arrival – As a TWHC member you will receive a 10% discount on your entire stay at the Samesun Hostel Vancouver (TWHC Headquarters) as well as 25% off food & drinks (breakfast is provided free daily). It is up to you how long you want to spend in Vancouver, however most people choose to stay 3-5 days to attend TWHC orientation and set up your mandatory tasks as well as explore Vancouver city before heading to your hotel/resort.
- Transport to your Ski Resort/Hotel – Transport from Vancouver to your Ski Resort is not included as this cost differs for every location which can be anywhere from 2 to 14 hours from Vancouver. (Approx. cost is $60-$200CAD). TWHC will assist in arranging this for you, however the cost is not included.
SUMMER PROGRAMME OVERVIEW
1. CONSULTATION CALL
First of all we want to get to know you and what type of working holiday experience is going to be best for you! We will then ensure you meet the basic requirements of the Canadian Working Holiday Visa & that you are a good fit for our Canadian ski resort and hotel partners. Basically we want to make sure it’s a solid fit for you and for the resorts / hotels. We don’t make the final employment decision…the resorts / hotels do…we just make sure we prepare you as best as we can so employers have no other choice but to hire you!! We’re not backward in coming forward…so if this programme isn’t right for you…we’ll let you know, so we don’t waste your time, the resort/hotel’s time, our time and most importantly…your money!!!
2. DEPOSIT PAYMENT
Once you are keen to get things rolling and we are happy you fit the requirements an invoice will be sent to you to from TWHC arrange the of $399 deposit. The final amount can then be paid off before your resort interview.
3. TWHC ONLINE APP REGISTRATION
Once your deposit payment has been received we will then send the registration link to create your log in to our TWHC online App. This online portal is where you are going to complete and receive everything you need throughout your entire application with THWC from the moment you pay, right up until you depart for Canada. This will clearly outline your progress and what steps you need to complete next. The first step includes the Terms & Conditions which are there for you to READ not just tick off…so make sure you read everything prior to jumping in with two feet!!! In these first steps is also where you will select your resort/hotel location and job preferences.
4. VISA APPLICATION
This visa processing times for a Canadian Visa can fluctuate up to 16 weeks. We will get you started with the application process as soon as you have paid the deposit so we can make sure your working visa visa approved before you depart for Canada.
5. ONLINE PRE-SCREEN INTERVIEW
Within the TWHC online app you will have the opportunity to submit your pre screening interview. This is like a practice run for you and is help online. You will be given some practice interview questions to prepare you for what will come with your resort interview. These are held online to be complete in your own time and are designed to simulate a real interview where you will not know what questions they are going to ask. Our recruitment manager as spent more than 14 years in a Canadian ski resort, she’s ‘been there and done that…the information she’s imparting is super helpful!!!
6. INTERVIEW PLACEMENT
Your location preference will be approved by our Recruitment Manager in your online application which confirms who you are going to be having your interview with. Applicants will be advised by the recruitment manager if they are a fit or non-fit for specific resorts or hotels to ensure expectations are managed
7. RESORT SPECIFIC APPLICATION FORMS
Once your location is approved, you will get access in your online TWHC application to submit your resort specific application form. This form, once completed, will eventually be sent to the resort/hotel for their consideration prior to face to face interview. The resort specific application form allows the applicant to upload their personal information and make statements on why they should be hired. This form requires applicants to upload their resume, letters of reference and a passport sized smiling photo plus other written information about themselves and their experiences.
8. FULL PAYMENT
30 days after making deposit payment your final payment will be due. Don’t stress we do have payment plans available if you need a little help ‘ Just Ask!
9. RESORT / HOTEL INTERVIEW
A face to face or Zoom interview with a Canadian ski resort or hotel representative will then be set up on a one on one scenario. This date is usually set up months in advance allowing applicants to research and practice their interviewing skills.
10. JOB CONTRACT
For those who have been offered roles, job offers will be sent out requesting confirmation of job and start dates. Resort contracts will then be released & sent directly to applicants from the employer and need to be read, signed and sent back within a timely manner to ensure jobs are confirmed! Then we begin the fun part or assisting you book your flights, insurance and arrival to Canada.
11. UNSUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES
For those who failed their interview, secondary interviews will be set up and the recruitment manager will be in touch to advise specifics of the next interview date and time. Secondary interview opportunities are based on resort availability and applicant suitability. No refunds will be considered until ALL avenues of employment are exhausted. At this point, if there are no remaining locations for potential employment, then a program refund will then be issued. Our role is to locate employment in Canada for applicants and we do not stop until we have tracked all opportunities down!!!
11. DEPARTURE TO CANADA
Once you have received your job contract and start date, its time to start planning the fun stuff! You will be sent the Arrival Bible which covers everything you need to cover for your departure to Canada including visa documents and requirements, flights, insurance, orientation dates and transfers to your resort. We also provide a wealth of information to help with packing, ski gear and what to expect on arrival. Our staff will be there to welcome you to our partnered hostel during seasonal start dates so you can meet all the other travellers heading off on their new adventures.
Departure/Return LocationAustralia / New Zealand / UK / EU
Departure TimeApril - May/June
Return TimeOpen Ended
Dress CodeUniform Provided