- Season: Late October through to late May
- Province: Alberta
- Accommodation: For most jobs, although some roles do not come with staff housing
- Min Age: 19
- Jobs: Lift Operations, Food & Beverage, Support Roles, Guest Services
- Nations Eligible To Apply: Anyone eligible for a Canadian working holiday visa
- Interview Locations: Held via Zoom
- Salary: Approx $16 per hour
Sunshine Village is in the heart of the Canadian Rockies in Banff National Park. The drive is an hour-and-a-half west of Calgary on the Trans-Canada Highway, just eight kilometres west of the town of Banff. Sunshine Village ski runs and lifts are accessed via an eight-person high-speed gondola. The gondola takes people up to Goat’s Eye Mountain in ten minutes and the upper village area in 18 minutes.
SUNSHINE VILLAGE LIFT OPERATION HOURS (DURING SEASON)
Sunshine Village Gondola Hours
Saturday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
Sunshine Village Chair Lift Hours
Winter months: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Spring months: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Sunshine Village Base Area Services (during season)
- Base area service facilities are open 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. every day during the season
- This includes the Rental Shop, Customer Service Desk and Tech Shop
Sunshine Village Food & Drink Outlets (during eason)
- Creekside 7:30am – 5:30pm
- Goat’s Eye 8:00am – 4:30pm
- Trapper’s – Weekdays: 11:00am – 5:30pm / 7:00pm – 12:00pm
- Trapper’s – Weekends: 10:30am – 5:30pm / 7:00pm – 12:00pm
- Java Express: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Alpine Grill: 8:00am – 4:00pm
- Lookout Lounge: 11:00am – 3:30pm
- Sunshine Burger Co: 10:30am – 3:00pm
- Java Lift: 8:00am – 4:30pm on Friday and Saturday
- Chimney Corner: 7:30am – 10:30pm
- Eagle’s Nest: 5:00pm – 10:30pm
As you can imagine Sunshine is one of the most popular locations to work, due to not only its location close to Banff but its incredible mountain! The competition for jobs here is fierce. Applicants need to be 19 years of age or older. Training is offered for all roles. However, some specific roles may require previous experience. Positive attitude, exceptional customer service skills and a huge amount of teamwork is the backbone of all employees at Sunshine Village.
SUNSHINE VILLAGE JOBS AVAILABLE ON POWDER PROGRAM
- Administration Clerk – Accounting
- Administration – Payroll & Accounting
- Base Area Attendant
- Bus Host
- Custodian – Staff Accommodation
- Custodian – Base Area
- Employee Services Coordinator
- Gondola Operator
- Employee Services Coordinator
- Guest Services Agent
- Hotel Concierge
- Hotel Front Desk Agent
- Hotel Front Desk Supervisor
- Hotel Houseperson
- Hotel Maintenance Worker
- Hotel Night Auditor
- Hotel Room Attendant
- Housekeeping Supervisor
- Lift Operator
- Rental Attendant
- Custodian Powder Crew
- Junior Sous Chef
- Lead Cook
Staff housing is provided for some, but not all, positions at Sunshine Village. Please speak with the HR manager of Sunshine Village in your interview to confirm if your position will come with on-mountain, Banff or no staff housing. If housing is not provided for your specific role The Working Holiday Club™ will provide you with housing assistance in the format of a housing newsletter which will outline the best approaches to sourcing housing in Banff or other local towns.
The Working Holiday Club will also post specific rental properties available for the season in your invite only Sunshine Village specific Facebook Group. We find our closed facebook groups fantastic for assisting people travelling by themselves to find fellow housemates also working at Sunshine for the season.
The housing market is quite expensive in Banff… at the end of the day you are living inside a postcard (which is also a National Park).
At Sunshine, we spend a lot of time and energy planning events and activities that extend beyond the working experience. We believe that a big part of the employee experience is the opportunity to socialise and enjoy some of the incredible advantages that living in the Rocky Mountains and Bow Valley has to offer.
Skiing & Riding Benefits
All full-time staff ski ride free at Sunshine and receive significant discounts at over 13 other amazing Canadian ski & snowboard resorts.
Every year HR plans plenty of day and overnight trips for Sunshine Staff at reasonable prices. Here are some examples of group trips from previous years:
- Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Panorama, Red Mountain, Marmot Basin, Big White And Fernie Trips
- NHL hockey games In Calgary
- Calgary shopping trip
- West Edmonton Mall trip
- Ice Climbing
- Ice Fishing
- Dog Sledding
- Christmas Staff Party
- Snowboarding movie premieres
- Cleanest Room Contest for those with on-hill accommodation
- End Of Year ‘May Madness’ Party with pig roast and DJ
- Night Skiing for staff in the spring
- Moonlight snowshoe hike
- Avalanche training courses
- Employee Of The Month dinner, part of our staff recognition program
- Australia Day activities
- Spring concert series in The Village, with past bands including III Scarlett, Aaron Pritchett, George Canyon and BC/DC
Our staff receives fantastic discounts at Sunshine Village, too. We offer discounts in our food & beverage outlets, retail store, on retail equipment and ski lessons. There are ten chairlifts and 107 trails within the alpine valley, formed by the three mountains (Mount Standish, Lookout Mountain, and Goat’s Eye Mountain) that constitute Sunshine Village.The resort also boasts Banff’s largest ski rental shop and the only Ski-in, ski-out hotel. The resort has terrain to suit all abilities. For advanced skiers and snowboarders the Delirium Drive, the ultimate front-country adventure with pitches of 40 degrees and vertical footage of 1919 feet.
Snowshoe Tour Of The Village
Once the lifts close for the evening and the stars are out, grab a pair of snowshoes and take a walk through the village. After your evening stroll, grab a steaming mug of hot chocolate fireside at the Chimney Corner Lounge.
On select evenings at the Sunshine Mountain Lodge, the ski runs turn into tobogganing hills. Ask for a toboggan from our front desk and have a blast sliding down the mountain trails that surround the village.
Tobogganing available Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings after lifts have closed on traditional Maplewood toboggans.
Banff’s Largest Outdoor Hot Pool
After a vigorous day on the slopes, unwind in one of Banff’s largest outdoor hot pools. Complete the relaxation experience with a visit to our cedar-lined dry sauna.
After-Hours At Mad Trapper’s Saloon
For adults looking for some after-hours fun, the Mad Trapper’s Saloon provides a historic and authentic old-lodge experience. Built in 1928 by the Canadian Pacific Railway, the venue has now been transformed into a rustic mountain pub.
Sit back and relax after a day on the slopes with family movie nights in the activities room. There are popcorn and treats as we feature an early show for the kids, followed by a late show for adults. Enjoy a different theme each week, from classics to recent releases.
Trip Into Town Of Banff
On Friday nights, you can head into Banff for the evening and catch the last gondola (10 pm) back to the lodge. A shuttle bus is available to take you to and from the town of Banff.