- Season: late November through to April
- Province: British Columbia
- Accommodation: yes
- Min age: 21
- Jobs: Outdoor roles, F&B, rental, retail, limited finance,
ski school sales, support roles
- Interview Locations: Denmark, London, Australia & Sweden
Silver Star is located 50 minutes from the city of Kelowna, and 22 minutes from the large outlying town of Vernon. Shopping, nightlife and sports are common throughout the area – whether it’s going to watch a hockey game, spending some time at one of the malls, checking out a festival or going to play or a movie, there’s plenty to see and do.
WORKING AT SILVER STAR
A big mountain with a small town feel is what makes Silver Star so special – all the terrain you’d expect at a larger resort, without the crowds. All with true mid-mountain Ski-in, ski-out access.
Silver Star overlooks the beautiful Okanagan Valley, located in the heart of the British Columbia interior. Prized for its wineries and amazing summers, the Okanagan is also home to some of the best snow conditions in the world – over seven metres fall each winter.
Through the winter season, Silver Star runs a staff bus to and from Vernon a couple of times a week. This provides our employees with easy access to additional shopping outlets, movie theatres and other activities. There are also several convenient pick-up and drop-off locations.
Through the winter season, Silver Star runs a staff bus to and from Vernon several times each day. This provides our employees with easy access to additional shopping outlets, movie theatres and other activities. Staff living in Vernon can also catch this bus to help them get to and from work. There are also several convenient pick-up and drop-off locations.
Work-life Balance That Matters
We believe in the importance of play, and we work hard to make sure that you have every chance to experience everything Silver Star has to offer. Skiing and snowboarding are only two of that activity that you’ll want to enjoy while you are here – have you ever snow-shoed through a forest of Christmas trees, or taken a ride in a groomer as it moves across the mountain, or jumped on a horse-drawn sleigh to a cozy little cabin for dinner? Or maybe you just want to get on a snowmobile and race across the mountain trails. There’s so much to try and so many places to explore – if you love being outside, you’ll love Silver Star.
2019 Summer Season – runs from June to September
2019-20 Winter Season – runs from November to April
Jobs At Silverstar When You Join The Power Pack
- Cashier – Cash Office
- Central Reservations Agent (Travel Agent)
- Day Care
- Events Coordinator
- Food Service Attendant
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Hotel Front Desk Agent
- Guest Services
- Grooming Machine Operator
- Housekeeping Supervisor
- Lift Operator
- Prep Cook
- Rental Technician
- Rental Clerk
- Retail Sales
- Ski & Snowboard Instructor
- Sous Chef
- Spa – Esthetician
- Staff Housing Supervisor
- Staff Housing Attendant
- Terrain Park Crew
- Ticket Seller
- Tube Park Attendant
What Kind Of Accommodation Options Are There At Silver Star?
There are several lodging options for staff at Silver Star. Private rentals in Vernon and on the mountain are an excellent choice, especially when sharing the cost with friends. Staff accommodation is also available on the mountain and is a great way to meet people – but keep in mind it is shared accommodation and space can be limited.
- Private Rentals in Vernon – Vernon offers some very cost-effective options, but keep in mind you’ll need a car, or will have to rely on the staff bus for transportation to and from work.
- On-Mountain Private Rentals – Private rentals on the mountain go very quickly (and early pre-season), but can be a great option if sharing with friends. We recommend going to our Staff Facebook Page for opportunities to find private and shared accommodation options.
- On-Mountain Staff Accommodation – SilverStar has two large accommodation buildings for staff, which offers an option for all, including couples. Both buildings are located steps from our village center. This slopeside accommodation comes complete with a large common area, shared kitchen, and staff lounge’s. Rooms are typically shared between four staff and can be an excellent way to meet people.
MORE THAN JUST A SALARY…
It’s true. Working at Silver Star is all about experiencing our amazing mountain lifestyle – enjoying the outdoors, meeting new people, going new places and trying new things. So, along with your regular pay, we provide a variety of free activities, employee discounts and cool incentives to help make your winter here one you won’t forget.
The list is long but some of what people love about working at Silver Star includes:
- Free Season Pass – Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Cross Country Skiing, Snow Tubing, Ice Skating and Snowshoeing are all included in your season pass. Coming for summer? Your season pass will include the bike chair & scenic chair lift access.
- Free Snowsport School Lessons – Last season Silver Star staff were allowed to join Snowsports School group lessons free of charge. Private lessons were also offered at 50% off. We hope to bring this back this season as well.
- Restaurant & Retails Discounts – Nothing is full price for our staff at Silver Star owned restaurants and retail outlets. Show your staff pass and get discounts on everything. We also have special staff sales early in the season to help you get outfitted for riding.
- Rental Discounts – If you want to try something new but don’t want to buy a full kit, staff rentals are a cheap way to try some of the interesting winter activities at Silver Star.
- Ski Trips To Other Resorts – Think you’re missing out on what other hills offer? Never fear! Last season we organized multiple trips to resorts like Revelstoke, Big White, Apex and others to let you play on different terrain and see new places. The cost? Lift tickets were free of charge, and we just asked for a small contribution to pay for the bus.
And so much more… we’ll teach you how to play hockey (or even just how to skate) at free clinics so you can be ready to play in our outdoor ice-hockey league. Need an indoor option? We have the first ski-in/ski-out 10-pin bowling alley. From drinks nights to special dinners and breakfasts served to you by our management team, we’ll do our best to keep a smile on your face, and leave cash in your wallet.